GrowthX Founding Partner, Sean Sheppard, is featured in a new book on the top advice for sales excellence. Sean shares his insights on:
Sean’s expert advice from the book is below, and you can download the entire book here.
Picking up the phone!
To be strategic about how you plan your work and relentless in your tactical execution of that work. Being strategic means you start by reverse engineering your funnel (from the bottom up) to achieve 150% of your quota. Then be relentless in your tactical, day-to-day tasks to achieve that goal.
By being a pro-active thought and action leader. First thought: Begin by working with your clients to understand “why” they chose you. Then work with them (side by side) to gain mutual agreement on their desired outcomes. Once found, map out (together) each step of their journey and optimize their experience to achieve those outcomes in a measurable way. Then action: Document a customer success action plan complete with desired outcomes, roles, responsibilities and a regular meeting cadence to manage and iterate based on their needs at that time.
1. That selling is helping. Your purpose is to help others get what they want ethically.
2. That there is no distinction between personal and professional development in human facing work. Be a better person and you will be a better professional.
3. The most important skills you need to develop to be successful in sales are:
a. Mindset — Do you have a growth mindset and the right attitude? Are you open to improving yourself to be a better sales professional?
b. Accelerated Learning — Can you be a learn-it-all instead of a know-it-all? Can you train your brain to learn quickly and acquire new skills to stay in front of an ever-evolving landscape?
c. Business Acumen — Do you understand how businesses make money? Who they serve and why? How and why they buy and how you can help them and those who work in them be more successful using your product or service.
4. Market Acumen. Can you quickly apply your skills to any new product or market and become a subject matter expert in that product and/or market to lead your customers down the proper path to success?
5. Communication! Can you articulate value across all modes and methods of human interaction? Can you, speak, write and behave with the utmost clarity, brevity and integrity?